My goals for 2015

30 Dec

I’ve spent the last couple of days discussing the races and events that I want to enter in 2015. Stuart is a firm believer of quality over quantity, whereas I want to enter everything! I quite enjoy doing cross-country running and usually do some of the local cross-country series (CC6) but Stu doesn’t want to risk injury; also he is leading Marafun training runs on Sunday mornings and these clash with the CC6s, so we have agreed to do these runs together.

I’ve also been considering my SMART goals for the year. These are goals that are:

• Specific
  • Measurable
  • Achievable
  • Realistic
  • Time-bound

I have four goals:

GiveIt100

I am going to eat healthy food for 20/21 meals and assess my progress at the end of 100 days (14th April). I hope that I will lose 14lbs (6.5kg) in that time. I will record my progress on Give It 100.

ABPlogo

I am going to work hard on my speed between now and 26th April by attending Thursday night track sessions. I will also run on Monday evenings. My aim is to complete Southampton HM in under 1:55, with under 1:52:19 as my ultimate goal as that would be a PB/PR.

Ironman Dublin logo

I want to achieve a PB/PR at Ironman Dublin 70.3 on 9th August. I completed Weymouth Half in 7:24. I think that a time of under 7 hours is possible if I work hard on all three disciplines. I will train for 14 weeks from 3rd May.

ScillySwimChallenge

I want to complete the Scilly Swim Challenge on 5th September. To do this, I will need to go open water swimming at least once a week between June and September. I will speak to my coach about how to train for an endurance swimming event such as this.

I need to work on my training programme to support these goals. I’m not allowed to swim until the middle of January, but for the next few months, my training schedule is going to include the following:

• Monday: Crossfit; running; swimming.
  • Tuesday: Spinning; swimming.
  • Wednesday: Rest day. (Maybe lunchtime yoga).
  • Thursday: Track running.
  • Friday: Swimming.
  • Saturday: parkrun or swimming.
  • Sunday: Long run. Bike ride.

I’ve now scheduled most of my races and events for 2015. There’s a whole range of different events that I’ve entered:

• HRRL – this is a league of 12 races for local club runners. The events are open for any runner to enter, but only the results of local club runners are counted in the league.
  • RR10 – this is a spring/summer local off-road running league. These races are free for local club runners and are 4-5 miles long. Dates for 2015 have not yet been confirmed.
  • parkrun – this is a free, weekly, timed 5k event. I will be adding them in accoridng to my training schedule, but I suspect that I will need to prioritise swimming over running for much of 2015.
  • Eastleigh aquathlons – this is a series of races hosted by TryTri events on Thursday evenings. Entry to them is free for SUTRI members.

Stu and I are also going cycling in Japan with a friend in early April. We’re expecting to ride about 60-70 miles a day, which will be tiring, but good training.

January

February

• 01/02/15 Marafun training run
  • 15/02/15 Marafun training run
  • 22/02/15 Heartbreak Half

March

• 01/03/15 Marafun run
  • 08/03/15 Salisbury 10 mile (not yet entered)
  • 22/03/15 Winchester Duathlon (not yet entered)
  • 29/03/15 Marafun training run

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

Rest!

November

• 15/11/15 Denbies Duathlon or Gosport Half Marathon (TBC)

December

Off-season rest!

2015 is going to be a busy year. What have you got planned?

10 Responses to “My goals for 2015”

1. Anna @ Piper's Run 30/12/2014 at 5:16 pm #

Wow, you are really ready for 2015!!! I’ve signed up for one double race (5k and half marathon) and am registering for one other….but the rest is up in the air. I’ll probably do 8-10 races…guess I should get on this πŸ™‚
    Happy New Year.

• tamsynsmith 30/12/2014 at 11:08 pm #

Happy New Year to you too πŸ™‚ One of the (minor) problems that I have is that a lot of the events that i want to do are popular, so it’s important to register early – Ironman Dublin 70.3 sold out to people who had pre-registered, just a few hours after it opened and the Scilly Swim Challenge also sold out really quickly. On the day that I’m doing Southampton Half, my partner is doing London Marathon… I’d love to do that, but I’m not fast enough (yet) to qualify for Good for Age and I’ve never been lucky in the ballot.

• Anna @ Piper's Run 30/12/2014 at 11:27 pm #

It’s amazing how some events can sell out so fast – within hours! I’m sure it’s going to be a fantastic year!

2. PA 30/12/2014 at 8:15 pm #

This is a great post. I try to do this kind of planning each year. Although I’m not planning even half the races you are, it is exciting looking forward to the new year and planning accordingly. I’ll look forward to reading how you get on.

• tamsynsmith 30/12/2014 at 11:09 pm #

Thank you. I probably had a dozen more races on my list, but I had to cross some out, otherwise I’d never have time to eat/sleep/train! Fortunately, a lot of my events are local and free/cheap. πŸ™‚

3. Lucy 31/12/2014 at 2:54 pm #

Some great goals there! That Scilly swim challenge looks amazing, but I don’t think I’m quite up to swimming that distance! Lots of my clubmates are doing Dublin 70.3. I’m still considering the Southampton Half, I’ve not been to Southampton since I graduated in 2006, so it could be interesting to go back to my old uni town for a race!

• tamsynsmith 01/01/2015 at 2:33 pm #

I’m not entirely sure that I’m up to swimming that distance, but I’m going to give it my best shot. It’s frustrating that I’m not allowed to swim until late January (laser eye surgery), but after that I’m going to be spending lots of time in the pool!

Southampton Half is going to be great fun. It goes along East Park Terrace, right past Solent Uni and also right through UoS campus, as well as taking in the other ‘sights’ of Southampton. The city has changed a lot since 2006, so it’s worth coming back to see what it’s like now πŸ™‚

4. AndrewGills 31/12/2014 at 4:42 pm #

I have no races planned this year. Rather, I will spend the year traveling and continuing ly journey to a simpler lifestyle. Last year I think I had a big list of events. Seems strange to think that was only a year ago and I didn’t complete hardly any pf them. Good luck with your goals. They look fantastic

• tamsynsmith 01/01/2015 at 3:05 pm #

One of the goals that you got me interested in for 2014 was to take part in an audax event. I didn’t manage it (I don’t think being in a Fb group counts, does it?!), but it has inspired me in any many ways, including arranging my trip to go cycling in Japan, so I don’t see that as a failed goal. I hope you have a happy and stress-free 2015 πŸ™‚

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Revisiting my goals for 2015 | Fat Girl to Ironman - 17/12/2015

[…] the end of December 2014, I set out my goals for 2015, so I thought it was time for me to revisit […]