My fifteen minutes

24 Jan

I’ve found myself in the media not once, but twice this week.

First up was a discreet image from the lovely new Embrace Sports website – this is the company that Stuart and I use when we want to go on a training holiday. I was browsing the site and dreaming of a lovely holiday (that probably won’t happen due to having a new kitchen) when this image popped up:

New Embrace website.jpg

© Embrace Sports

I’m at the bottom left of the photo wearing glasses (which is how I know it’s quite an old pic as I’ve not worn glasses for over a year now!) The person at the top left is Alan who is a fantastic triathlete and professional sports model, so maybe I can legitimately claim that I was in an advert with a proper sports model 😉

My second moment of fame came yesterday… about six weeks ago, I was interviewed by Mike, a reporter at Southampton Daily Echo. Nothing seemed to come of it, so I thought my story had been shelved. then I received a text message from a friend last night who said that his girlfriend had seen me in the Echo. I was a little surprised, so I went and had a look and sure enough, there I was!

Daily Echo news story.jpg

The feature originally came about after I won the Blogging Edge Sports Blogger of the Year award and before voting closed for the Bloggers’ Lounge Health and Fitness Blogger of the Year award closed. Since then, I’ve been nominated in both the ‘Health and Social Care’ and ‘Lifestyle’ categories of the UK Blog Awards 2016. Voting closes on Monday 25th January 2016 at 9pm, so if you’d like to vote for me, there’s still time!

Have you had your fifteen minutes of fame? What did you do?

Southampton Daily Echo article

15 Responses to “My fifteen minutes”

1. bgddyjim 24/01/2016 at 9:16 pm #

Voted for you… Never gotten a minute of fame, and that is perfectly okay with me. Congratulations!

• tamsynsmith 24/01/2016 at 10:07 pm #

Thank you for the vote… I don’t have a desire to be famous, but it is nice when people say they’ve found my blog useful/motivational/helpful 🙂

• bgddyjim 24/01/2016 at 10:21 pm #

Oh, I get you, didn’t mean to imply anything with my comment. You asked the question and I answered it. ; )

• tamsynsmith 24/01/2016 at 10:27 pm #

No offence taken – I just figured that we do all end up with a tiny glimmer of fame for something. I’m happy with putting my life out there on my blog, but certainly wouldn’t want to be hounded by the paparazzi and have my every move scrutinised by others.

2. Drue & Jayme 25/01/2016 at 12:54 am #

Congratulations!

3. neveradullbling 25/01/2016 at 1:17 am #

Congratulations!! That is awesome!

4. unironedman 25/01/2016 at 9:10 am #

Done. Now off to buy my Daily Mail to see the pictures!

• unironedman 25/01/2016 at 9:15 am #

PS The UK Blog Awards Team just sent me ‘virtual regards’ for voting… I feel somewhat short-changed! 😉

5. H.A.G. 26/01/2016 at 1:12 pm #

Congrats on the “fame.” Sometimes, a little “shot in the arm” like this recognition, is just the mojo-push that you need! enjoy!

• tamsynsmith 26/01/2016 at 10:54 pm #

Thank you 🙂 I guess that at least reaching the level of mediocrity that I have makes my ‘success’ easier for others to emulate 😉

6. goalliedathletes 26/01/2016 at 7:02 pm #

Wow!! Congratulations! How exciting to receive the recognition after all that hard work even though that’s not why we do what we do as athletes! Because of this common bond that we have as athletes, we’ve created a website that brings together former and current athletes and provides a supportive and non-judgmental space for individuals to share their athletic triumphs and struggles with one another (See the forums page and members and events page). We’d love to hear an account of how training has influenced you (anonymously if you would like). Thank you for your consideration! Love your posts!
    Margaret
    GoAlliedAthletes.com

• tamsynsmith 26/01/2016 at 10:55 pm #

Hi Margaret! Thanks for your message. I’ve registered with GoAlliedAthletes and will get in touch in the next week 🙂

• goalliedathletes 27/01/2016 at 3:12 am #

Thank you so much! Let me know what you think and what you would like to see on the site! Have a wonderful week!