Monday Morning Motivation – stick or carrot?

25 Aug

Some Motivation is Required2

What gets you up and running?

Are you motivated by fear or rewards? We’ve all seen those ‘I run for cake/wine/beer/icecream’ headbands, but what really makes you go out and exercise? Surely the best motivation is the feeling you have when your workout is done?

7 Responses to “Monday Morning Motivation – stick or carrot?”

1. rosemarybyde 25/08/2014 at 5:10 pm #

Because even the act of doing it is fun, and because fitness enables me to have some amazing experiences!

• tamsynsmith 23/09/2014 at 10:31 pm #

Great comment… there are so many places I’ve visited and people I’ve met because of the sports I’ve taken part in.

2. thecrazyrunnergirl 25/08/2014 at 7:08 pm #

I have competing positive and not so positive motivators.
    My positive ones are I love the feeling of getting back from a long run and knowing you’ve achieved something.

My not so positive motivators are fear of losing my fitness or piling on the pounds if I stop running and keep eating as if I hadn’t 😀

• tamsynsmith 23/09/2014 at 10:32 pm #

I can definitely identify with those motivators 🙂

3. Cynthia @ You Signed Up For WHAT?! 26/08/2014 at 3:37 pm #

Yes – the feeling I have from running and after the run! That’s the best. I do exercise to balance out having a small bit of leeway with my diet because otherwise I have issues maintaining my weight. But the results both inside and out are the motivator!

4. Jackie Beyer 07/09/2014 at 10:54 pm #

I definitely run for confidence first and foremost. Nothing makes me feel like I can take on the world like a quick 2 miles in 25 minutes! Which is fast for me although I’m getting faster all the time. But knowing I’m doing something healthy for my body and taking care of myself, is also good motivation. Since I don’t seem to lose any weight running I can’t say that’s my motivation…

• tamsynsmith 23/09/2014 at 10:33 pm #

It’s great to get out and feel that you’re achieving something by surpassing your own goals, isn’t it. I do wish that mileage = weightloss, but you’re right that it doesn’t.