Garmin RideOut

Garmin Rideout jerseys 2017

.I was really pleased that Stu managed to get us places in the Garmin RideOut. I’ve done this event twice before and had a place in last year’s event, but had to give it away as we didn’t think it was safe for me to take part.

Stu organised for Baby M to spend the day with her grandparents and then agreed to cycle with me. We’ve not had many opportunities to cycle together in the last couple of years, so I was looking forward to spending some time together.

Arriving at the Garmin RideOut

We were directed to park fairly near to the marquees, which was convenient. M was with us at that point, so we took her to registration. We then went back to the car to pin our numbers on our new jerseys. I was wearing my Team SOAS cycling kit but felt that I should wear the event jersey for this event. I was pleased to find that it was a nice quality Primal jersey.

Garmin Rideout jerseys 2017

We still had M, so weren’t able to go to the talks, which was a shame, so Stu and I decided to have the free bacon roll/veg sausage sandwich that was on offer. It wasn’t long before Stu’s dad arrived to collect M, which meant that we were able to position ourselves towards the front of the queue to start.

Garmin RideOut 2017 itinerary

The original schedule had suggested starting at 11:00. We started not too long after 10:15am, which was good as I had an appointment that I needed to get back for!

It was really nice to be out rising with Stu. A few times, we joined up with other riders for a chat, which made it a very sociable event.

Feed station break and a disappointing turn of events

We stopped at a feed station where we had to take our shoes off. The hallway was very crowded, so I put my shoes outside. I also left my helmet with my headband, mitts and sunglasses inside it. We had some electrolyte drink and some cake before heading outside.

Julian Porter and a group from his cycling club were outside, so we stopped for a chat. I went to put my helmet back on and realised that my sunglasses were missing. I was annoyed that someone had stolen them. Then I realised that someone had kicked my helmet and stood on my sunglasses. I am assuming that my helmet is still safe to wear, but I was upset that my sunglasses were broken. They were not expensive, but they fit me really well and are comfortable.

I started to get tired towards the end of the ride but managed not to slow down too much.

When we got back, we got some pasta and sat down whilst waiting for Stu’s dad to arrive back with Baby M. There was time for a chat with Jo and Donna. Then it was a swift drive back to Southampton as I had over-estimated my ability and we were running late.

I loved being back in the saddle and really hope that we are lucky enough to get places in this event again.

I'd love to hear your thoughts...

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.