I’m going Greek!

19 Mar

It’s been a while since I’ve finished a blog post (I’ve got lots of half-written ones), so I’m sorry. I’ve decided that I’d better just write each day and I’ll fill in the gaps as soon as possible.

Today has been a busy and LONG day as I’ve travelled to Paphos in Cyprus for a conference. I woke up at 4:15am this morning and so although it’s only 9:30pm UK time, it feels like it’s much later than that.

The flight took about 4.5 hours. It was full of elderly people who were off for a break in the sun. After sitting still for so long, I was really pleased when we finally got off the plane and out of the airport. The weather was warm and there were palm trees everywhere.

Paphos airport

Paphos airport

It was a short taxi journey from the airport to the hotel. We checked in promptly and had enough time to take a selfie before heading off to our rooms to unpack and answer some work emails.

A quick selfie at the hotel

A quick selfie at the hotel

The view from Hotel Almyra (Paphos)

The view from Hotel Almyra (Paphos)

Then it was time for a very late lunch, so Fiona and I headed along the coastal footpath and into the town. There are lots of lovely places to eat here and I’m sure it must be wonderful for people who like seafood. We also thought the ‘all day cake buffet’ sounded good!

All day cake buffet sign

If only I hadn’t given up cake for Lent!

In the end, Fiona and I stopped outside a cafe for a Greek salad, which was delicious. The feta cheese is so much nicer here than at home and the olives were large and tasty.

After lunch, we carried on walking though town and headed towards the marina. We had heard that there is an archaeological site there with some ancient mosaics, but we were too late to see them, so we just went for a walk along the coastal footpath instead.

There are some attractive ruins here – at the top left of the image below, you can just about make out the fort.

A view of the fort

A view of the fort

The views around the peninsula were really lovely and although there was a gentle breeze, it still felt warm.

The lighthouse

The lighthouse

As the sun started to set, we headed back to the hotel.

Sunset in Paphos

Sunset in Paphos

We had noticed a number of ginger cats around town and when we got back to the hotel, Fiona saw a black cat. She stopped to take a picture of him.

First, Fiona found a single black cat...

First, Fiona found a single black cat…

Fiona with cats

…and it wasn’t long before she was surrounded!

This one was definitely a 'Kitler'

This one was definitely a ‘Kitler’

We then decided that it was time for another drink whilst the sun went down.

We watched the sun go down...

We watched the sun go down…

It must be amazing to live somewhere like this

It must be amazing to live somewhere like this

Pineapple coolers

Pineapple coolers

So, that’s the main summary of what I’ve been up to today. I’m finally having a tiny break from exercise, but I’m planning to go running tomorrow morning. I’d also love to swim in the hotel pool, but I’ve forgotten my goggles 😦

Here is today’s IDEAfit photo a day image for March 19: Run

Running track

#springintoactionmarch

10 Responses to “I’m going Greek!”

1. 2 Cups 'N Run 20/03/2014 at 4:28 am #

Sounds like fun!! Even if for work.. Enjoy! Greece is gorgeous, and should be great weather now.

• tamsynsmith 20/03/2014 at 9:32 pm #

After England in recent weeks, anywhere that isn’t raining would be good, but it is gorgeous here. I’m no good at running in the heat, but I would love to live somewhere where it’s possible to spend most of the day outside.

2. Kathleen 20/03/2014 at 10:52 am #

I am SO incredibly jealous! Have an amazing time!

• tamsynsmith 20/03/2014 at 9:34 pm #

It’s hard to believe it’s work… I LOVE my job!

3. leannenalani 20/03/2014 at 4:08 pm #

Good times. Ummmm did that sign mean what I think it meant? Cake buffet? Like a buffet. With cake. All you can eat cake? I’m having a hard time wrapping my brain around this. lol

• tamsynsmith 20/03/2014 at 9:34 pm #

Doesn’t it sound amazing?! If I went in, I would need to be dragged away (or wheeled out!) 🙂

4. Anna 21/03/2014 at 9:31 am #

A quick hello to you and Fiona from the tropical climes of sunny Southampton! Clearly, the view here is fairly spectacular too (yay, concrete) and there is a (not quite all day) cake sale advertised downstairs, but nonetheless the vicarious Cyprus trip is very welcome. 🙂

• tamsynsmith 23/03/2014 at 9:32 pm #

Thanks, Anna. We had an amazing time and have brought back some Cypriot treats for the office 🙂

5. Sandra 22/03/2014 at 3:08 pm #

Wow. Wish I could help you at that cake buffet, take in some sunsets, and lay on the beach while you enjoyed the conference 🙂

• tamsynsmith 23/03/2014 at 9:34 pm #

It was absolutely gorgeous and I’d love to go back there some day. There’s also an archaeological site (http://www.visitpafos.org.cy/Paphos_Mosaics.aspx) which includes some beautiful mosaics, but we didn’t get there until just after it closed on our first day and were in conference sessions when it was open on the other days 😦