Weightloss and running

29 Jun
running in New York

Running in New York ยฉpexel

In the last week, I’ve seen loads of adverts on Facebook about losing weight through running. Whilst I believe that starting to run can help to kickstart weight loss for many people, it’s not usually a long-term solution for weight loss… if it were then I’d be wasting away by now!

However, that doesn’t mean that running and weight loss are incompatible. A 2014 study by Cornell University showed that runners who have fun lose more weight than those who take their training seriously. Here are a couple of summaries of the research:

running couple

Sporty couple ยฉ pexel

One of the reasons why I love running is because I view it as a sociable activity. Even when I’m pushing myself hard in a race, I know that there will be time to chat with friends before and after the event and if I’m doing a long run then I see it as a chance to have a conversation with a friend for a couple of hours. When else do you get that kind of opportunity?

Has running helped you to lose weight? Was that one of the reasons why you took up running?

20 Responses to “Weightloss and running”

1. unironedman 30/06/2016 at 9:49 am #

‘Can only speak personally (I was always slim enough) but the running can help with weight, though it’s not my main concern. I run with a mate every Sunday. We always have a large hot chocolate afterwards, and maybe a slice of cake. I could count the calories if I could be arsed, but I still reckon I’m still in the black on that score, and the positive mental health benefits are not tallied on any scale you can find on the back of any packet. At the end of the day, are you enjoying yourself? And is what you are doing some gargantuan effort, or is it just the way you live your life. It needs to be sustainable. A little bit of training, a sensible approach to eating, and the rest takes care of itself. I get flogged enough at work; I sure as hell don’t want to flog myself in my spare time ๐Ÿ˜‰
    (I use the word ‘you’ in the plural sense. Those French were on to something!)

• Tamsyn Smith 01/07/2016 at 10:32 pm #

I’m completely with you on the mental health side. I’ve had so much on in the last fortnight that I’ve not been able to go running and I’m definitely not feeling as positive as usual – thank goodness tomorrow is parkrunday! ๐Ÿ™‚

• 250pounds2forever 18/10/2016 at 7:05 pm #

Thank you for sharing this. I stumbled on this blog while looking for others that are into making better choices and changing their own lives. I changed to a better eating pattern about five weeks ago and have lost a significant bit of weight. However, you always ask yourself if you are doing the right thing. It’s good to read something that confirms you are on the right track!

• Tamsyn Smith 18/10/2016 at 7:19 pm #

Well done! It’s tough to make the change, tough to stick to it and then when you do achieve your goal, it’s even tougher to stay there. Good luck for the future ๐Ÿ™‚

• 250pounds2forever 18/10/2016 at 11:01 pm #

It is tough to make a change, but having my wife working with me has helped immensely. Thank you again!

2. Suria 04/07/2016 at 12:09 pm #

Im also there with you. I have been running for 2 years now and i have toned up but not lost weight since about a yaer and a half later.

3. Shani 08/07/2016 at 2:02 pm #

Running really helps when I’ve got too much on my mind it opens so much new perspectives for me…but true that it does not help for all the weight losing needs.

4. Corlia 07/08/2016 at 10:04 am #

This is a very informative article

5. Dee Elijah 14/08/2016 at 7:21 pm #

yes i agree, its more fun with a friend. you may find yourself doing longer distances this way.

6. Juanita Labuschagne 27/09/2016 at 9:30 pm #

Good story. Great motivation!

7. SMB Health 28/09/2016 at 12:26 pm #

Good post!

8. conflictedhealth 29/09/2016 at 4:35 am #

At one point I was doing HIT training on the treadmill, and it helped some. What helped the most was changing my diet but its hard to stick to it! Maybe not for all of us, but I’m in search of ways to stick to plans easier!

Katie

9. Ilse Lourens 27/10/2016 at 10:01 am #

This has simple steps and nutrition essentials, which will guide you to loose weight

10. Chris Piemonte 31/10/2016 at 2:08 pm #

Love the comment on how running can be a social activity. I feel like so many people view running as done suffering by yourself when it doesn’t have to be. Great perspective and great post!

11. comobajarlapanza87 05/12/2016 at 10:26 pm #

Hey nice article, I think running really helps burn calories as it pumps up your metabolism. Of course you wont loose weight by running once every month, no its like in everything the consistency. Cheers

12. Sandra Vernon 12/12/2016 at 3:25 am #

Unfortunately, I’m currently not able to become a runner. I have issues with my knees which can’t be cured but it can be hidden by training a lot. Running isn’t a training I can do just yet though as I can only keep it up for about a minute or so.

13. Lucy Kgoahla 06/01/2017 at 10:07 pm #

Nice article,you really motivated me to start running..

14. Kai 19/01/2017 at 6:54 pm #

Thanks for the article! I’m just starting to run myself! I’ve lost 25 pounds though diet and walking. I need to lose about 25 more. I just started running because I want to be more toned and I wanted to up my exercise routine =) I’ll try to remember to have fun with it =)