A girl can never have enough shoes!

28 Mar

For my birthday, my brother-in-law and his wife gave me a Sweatshop voucher. I also had another Sweatshop voucher and a 25% discount card, so I decided to invest in a new pair of shoes. I’ve been OK wearing my New Balance shoes, but I just don’t like them as much as the Brooks that I’ve worn for the past few years, so they seemed the obvious choice. The only disadvantage is that the latest model were only available in bright pink and navy with orange trims – orange with pink? Why?!

The very first pair of running trainers that I got fitted for several years ago were Brooks Vapors and I’ve always had at least one pair available in the last five years, but my old faithfuls died recently :’-( (I love these shoes so much that when I heard a rumour that they were going to be discontinued, I made my husband track down two pairs in my size. Luckily, it was just a rumour!)

Brooks Vapors

My new Brooks Vapors… and my ankles, which look incredibly chubby in this pic!

I tried out my new shoes for the first time at parkrun this weekend and for a 12 mile run on Sunday Runday and was pleased with how familiar they felt. They definitely didn’t need any ‘wearing in’ and with the bad weather continuing inΒ  week or two, no-one will be able to see the hideous colour scheme!

What are your go to running shoes?

8 Responses to “A girl can never have enough shoes!”

1. wolfytwex 28/03/2016 at 9:42 pm #

Currently really like the Zoot Solana shoes, they “work” really well for me and I also like that they’re totally wearable without socks πŸ™‚

• tamsynsmith 29/03/2016 at 9:25 am #

I really wish that there were more promotional schemes where you can try a pair of shoes for a week as it’s hard to know whether something will really work for you just by trying them on for 5 minutes in store. Brooks have run various schemes where it’s been possible to try a pair of Brooks Pure trainers for a week [completely free]. If you then decide to buythem, you get a Β£25 off voucher.

I’ve looked at Zoot shoes several times as I’d love to have something that I could wear without socks for sprint triathlons and aquathlons – my one previous attempt to use trainers I already have without socks ended with blisters :’-( Maybe the Zoots will come up on a discount site like SportPursuit in future so that I’m not risking too much money by trying them.

• wolfytwex 29/03/2016 at 2:09 pm #

Wow, the Brooks scheme sounds brilliant I didn’t know they occasionally offered that kind of opportunity πŸ™‚
        As for going sock-less, I can’t fault the Zoots, the Solanas in particular are a great all-round shoe that I wear for racing and training. Budget’s always an issue though! But I noticed the other day that all Zoot shoes are 1/2 price on Wiggle at the moment…

2. neveradullbling 29/03/2016 at 2:02 am #

Brooks are the best!!

• tamsynsmith 29/03/2016 at 9:25 am #

The certainly work for me too. I’ve never had a pair of Brooks that I haven’t liked πŸ™‚

3. eat2healthblog 29/03/2016 at 10:31 am #

Happy belated birthday Tamsyn! Saucony are brilliant (because of my over pronation)! πŸ™‚

• tamsynsmith 29/03/2016 at 11:17 am #

Thank you πŸ™‚ I’ve had some aucony runing kit before, but I’ve not seen many of their shoes in shops. I wonder why they’re not stocked in many places – perhaps it’s a Southampton thing!

• eat2healthblog 29/03/2016 at 11:22 am #

Yeah, we’re not quite sure ourselves; perhaps they aren’t as popular as other mainstream brands? We’ve bought them in some shops before (but you have to keep your eye out!) and online. πŸ™‚