Last week I was chatting to Sam (my nutrition coach from Mealo (Formerly Solent Strength + Nutrition)) and he suggested that I could try making some banana bread using protein powder. This would be ideal for my long swim next weekend.
Banana bready cake recipe
Here’s my recipe.
350g bananas (250g mashed and 100g chopped)
100g plain flour
80g Smart Protein vanilla*
2.5tsp baking powder
160g BaliNutra coconut syrup*
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Grease and flour a baking tin. For it to be ‘banana bread’ a loaf tin should be used, but I don’t have one, so I used a 21cm square cake tin.
- Whisk the BaliNutra coconut syrup, eggs and butter. (An electric mixer would be great for this – I used a food processor as I don’t have an electric mixer).
- Fold in the bananas, flour, Smart Protein, baking powder and salt. Then fold in the walnuts.
- Spoon into the tin and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out on to a rack to cool completely.
- Cut yourself a chunky slice and ENJOY!
BaliNutra coconut syrup
I’ve not baked using BaliNutra coconut syrup before and was pleasantly surprised by how well it worked in this recipe. It doesn’t taste of coconut but has a rich flavour, so would be a good substitute for any recipe that calls for Demerara or muscovado sugar. There are various benefits to using this syrup, including the fact that it’s organic and low GI, so it’s suitable for diabetics… and there are also environmental benefits to choosing it. I’ve also tried it in porridge this week as a replacement for honey or agave nectar and found that it worked well.
Baking with protein powder
I’ve tried quite a few protein powders, but have tended to use them in shakes, yoghurt and pancakes, rather than baking with them. When devising this recipe, I chose to use Smart Protein vanilla protein powder in place of some of the flour. This particular protein powder has an authentic vanilla flavour and it mixes easily.
Have you baked using protein powder before? What’s your favourite recipe?
- I was provided with BaliNutra coconut syrup free of charge in return for reviewing it