What will it take to run a 2 hour marathon?
December 26, 2014
I recently read something on Runners World about what it will take to run a two-hour marathon: http://rw.runnersworld.com/sub-2/
It’s a completely fascinating article, so I urge you to read it if you have the chance. If not, here’s a summary of the main points that are made:
- The right race needs to be selected
- It needs to be cold (so probably March or November)
- The course needs to be flat and straight
- There needs to be a strong group of pacemakers
- There needs to be a financial incentive for all involved
- The runner
- Needs to be efficient in terms of VO2 max and running economy
- Needs to be fairly small (5’6″ and 120lbs)
- Needs a huge amount of self-confidence
- Needs access to data and new technologies
- will be young and ‘fearless’
The article is brilliantly illustrated with infographics and concludes that a sub two hour marathon is possible. It event ends with a hypothetical narrative about when and how it will happen.
Do you think that a sub hour two marathon is humanly possible? If so, when do you think it may happen? If you disagree, what are your arguments?