What should I do with my bling?

26 Nov

I’ve been wondering what to do with my medals for a long time. I know there are many worthy places where they can be donated, but I’m not at that stage yet. I want to keep them, but don’t want them to just be in a pile in the corner. The trouble is that attractive medal displays are quite expensive. However, I think I may have found a cost-effective solution, courtesy of a top Scandinavian retailer. Thank you Ikea, for selling the BYGEL rail (55cm = Β£1.50; 100cm = Β£2). I may well take a trip there this week and see whether I can fashion a display for my medals and Stuart’s.

Bygel rail

I’m not particularly ‘crafty’, so if anyone else has any good and simple suggestions, please feel free to share them with me πŸ™‚

8 Responses to “What should I do with my bling?”

1. variety009 26/11/2014 at 7:23 pm #

Hey! I don’t have that much race bling…..yet!! But I was thinking of finding a nice piece of driftwood (in keeping with my coastal location!) and screwing in a load of those little hook screws which you can get very cheaply from Wilkos or hardware shops! Just an idea! 😊

• tamsynsmith 26/11/2014 at 9:40 pm #

That sounds like a great idea – thank you πŸ™‚ I’m going home to Cornwall at Christmas, so I might keep my eyes out for a nice piece of driftwood. The main problem is that there are now so many crafters that there’s not much left to be found on the beach!

I’ve seen a few boards on Pinterest where people have decorated their Christmas trees with their medals, which can look good, but I’m not sure it’s the right solution for me.

2. So... 27/11/2014 at 12:58 am #

A soft board with board pins works as well.

• tamsynsmith 27/11/2014 at 7:40 am #

That’s another good idea… I’d just need to work out where to place it.

3. trikatykid 27/11/2014 at 1:59 pm #

I like the driftwood idea and if you are at all crafty (even if you’re not, use stencils) paint sometime simple on it. Like “RUN” or “GLORY” or something!

• tamsynsmith 27/11/2014 at 7:05 pm #

That could be good – I might have to enlist the help of a friend, as even with a stencil, I’d make a mess!

• trikatykid 27/11/2014 at 9:17 pm #

Since you’re using driftwood, I would use a thin layer of lightly colored paint over the stencil. When its dry, take sand paper to it to make it look rustic. I’m going to have to make one for myself!

4. Gary 27/11/2016 at 10:41 pm #

Check out http://www.gbmedalboards.com for great wooden personalised options. πŸ™‚

Make great Xmas gifts!